(I began this post many months ago, but as we all know, life gets busy. With summer here, I finally have time to revisit and complete!)
Like attracts Like, and such is the case in the field of education. Passion, innovation, and a collaborative spirit drives many educators to continue their personal learning long after the work day is complete. Conferences, lectures and edcamps provide learning to hone craft and pedagogy while networking with colleagues about improving education for all students. It was at one of these edcamps that I met Aaron Becker and we became fast friends. This past August we reconnected at a beginning of the school year conference where Aaron encouraged me to share my story and start blogging again. So it is only fitting that he nominated me for the PLN Blogging Challenge.
Here are the rules I have been given:
1. Acknowledge the nomination blogger.
2. Share 11 random facts about yourself.
3. Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
4. List 11 bloggers. They should be bloggers you believe deserve a little recognition.
5. Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate and let all the bloggers know they been nominated. (You cannot nominate the blogger who nominated you.)
Random Facts About Shaelynn
1. I was born in Nebraska, grew up in Colorado, and moved to Iowa before high school.
2. Soccer is my Sport. I was the only girl on the Mason City Varsity Co-ed team, captain of the Cedar Falls high school women’s team the first year the program began, and coached Wartburg College Women’s Soccer Team while a student at UNI.
3. I am claustrophobic.
4. I met my husband while in college, and during my first year of teaching he suffered through phone calls from my students asking him when he was going to propose.
5. My sister is my best friend!
6. Reggae is my music of choice. On a visit to Jamaica, I had the privilege to see Ziggy Marley in concert.
7. Sparked by a Twitter connection, I took the AP Literature class to Sweden to meet their virtual classmates face to face. For two of my students, this was also their first airplane ride.
8. My parents are high school sweethearts and model the meaning of “Family” daily!
9. Most of my most meaningful connections with educators/colleagues began on Twitter. Erin Olsen!
10. I am a secret gamer!
11. Finally, over the past three years I have lost over 70 pounds, obtained a Master’s Degree, and took a new job! Whewww…
1. What was your favorite book to read as kid?..as an adult? As a child I was obsessed with Judy Blume! As an adult, my two favorite reads are Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton, and The Stranger by Albert Camus.
2. Who are two of your favorite athletes? Of course Mia Hamm ( American Soccer Player) and Lolo Jones!
3. Your favorite teacher/coach in high school or college…why did they mean so much to you? My favorite teacher was Ms. DeMoss. She was my senior English teacher who instilled the love of literature in me and had high expectations for all students!
4. If you were to host a Super Bowl Party, what foods are you having? Wings, nacho dip, Dorritos, M&Ms, RockStar, and a veggie tray!
5. Where is a vacation place you went to as a kid or adult that would you recommend to others? Negril, Jamaica! I have been there multiple times and would recommend the white-sand beaches to anyone.
6. What are two things on your bucket list that you just have to do yet? I want to travel to Greece (loved teaching Mythology) and I want to publish a book!
7. What is a something you wished you had more training on in college prep for an education career? Looking back, I think I could have benefitted from more training on assessment!
8. If you were to go back in time, who would you like to hang out with for a day? I would spend the day with my maternal grandfather. He died before I was born and I would love have a day to converse and create a memory that I could carry with me!
9. How do you like to spend your time when you aren’t in school? I enjoy spending time with my children and husband, time outdoors and reading!
10. What is one of your favorite leadership quotes? “Our Power as individuals is multiplied when we gather together as families, teams, and communities with common goals”
11. If you could change one thing in education, what would it be? I would ensure that every student who entered the doors of a school has meaningful relationships with adults and peers that foster a culture of belonging!